Sunday, March 2, 2014

Discovering 2014: Angel Bites

Discovering 2014 is a personal goal to complete a daily project throughout the year!

Today's project was Angel Bites, using this recipe from the Kitchen Trial and Error blog. I did have to modify the recipe some, which is detailed with the pictures below. The recipe is mainly low fat cream cheese and a lot of powdered sugar, flavored with mint (I used peppermint extract) and optionally dyed light yellow.

I started off using 3oz of low fat cream cheese and whipped it some, then added the 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and three drops of yellow food coloring, then mixed it together.


Then I started adding the confectioner's sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, with the mixer going. As more and more got added I really got concerned that it was looking dry, but I decided to take it up to the 4.5 cups listed in the recipe. That was a mistake, and this was the result:

Well, that's pretty useless, but thankfully I still had 1oz of cream cheese left. I added that (now the total is 4oz cream cheese) and this was the result:

While not perfect, it was much more malleable. I got a system set up and started rolling the tiny bites.

About 15 bites in I asked my husband to help out. Making these at 1/2 teaspoon takes a LONG time. We ended up making bigger ones after we went through my pre-scooped 1/2 teaspoon supply. The recipe states it'd only make 36 (3 dozen) at that size, but I honestly think you'd get at least 50, if not more, from it (but can't say for sure since we went bigger partway in). As time went on these got harder to roll, so I think a bit less confectioner's sugar would be better as well.

This is the modified recipe I propose:
  • 4 oz low fat cream cheese
  • 4 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon mint extract (or other flavoring)
  • 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar (for coating)
Using that modified recipe the total calories of everything is 2200, then divide that by the number of bites you end up with for your calorie per Angel Bite! If you follow the original with 4.5 cups confectioner's sugar and 4oz cream cheese then the total calorie count is 2440.

Store it in an airtight container (use wax paper between layers to avoid them sticking together) in the refrigerator and enjoy!

Tomorrow's project is Faux Sea Glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment