Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Discovering 2014: Resin Jewelry

Discovering 2014 is a personal goal to complete a daily project throughout the year!

Today's project was Resin Jewelry. This one I'm not going to dive deep into, since instructions for use may vary depending on what you have. For material additives I tried out green food coloring (might be a mistake, it's still not dried) and sprinkles (this one I like). I also tried adding a few embellishments to the bottlecap-sized cabachons.
The resin takes a full 72 hours to completely cure, so while I was able to remove everything but the bracelet from molds today (after 26 hours), they are definitely not ready to be incorporated into jewelry yet. 
To get them out of the molds I stuck them in the freezer for about 10 minutes, and then they readily popped out. As mentioned, the bracelet is the only holdout, and after about an hour of struggling with it I'm going to wait the full 72 hours before trying again to get it out of the mold.

So stay tuned for a better update on this near the end of the week. It's definitely not as scary as it seemed in my mind!

Here are the supplies I used:

Tomorrow's project is Canvas Decor!

No comments:

Post a Comment