Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Discovering 2014: Bottlecap Candles

Discovering 2014 is a personal goal to complete a daily project throughout the year!

Today's project was Bottlecap Candles, inspired by this pin. The instructions want you to get microwavable wax, etc, which seemed silly to me when I can burn a normal candle and re-use the wax from that just as easily.

To start, I grabbed a wick (came in a five-pack and I just trimmed tiny lengths off of it), bottlecaps, a candle, and a bit of aluminum foil (to hold the wick upright).

I ripped off a small amount of foil and squeezed it around the base of the wick, making sure it could stand up in the bottlecap. I carefully poured some of the wax into the cap--it doesn't take much at all!
Then I let them dry and harden.
Finally, I tested the claim that they could burn for an hour and a half. I got 50 minutes out of the one I tried before the wax ran out. Not quite the 90 advertised (and maybe my aluminum foil was an issue there) but still quite respectable!

Tomorrow's project is Edible Glitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment