Monday, January 6, 2014

Discovering 2014: Fabric Hair Bow

Discovering 2014 is a personal goal to complete a daily project every day throughout the year!
 
My day six project is a Fabric Hair Bow. The idea was inspired by this pin I found last year on Pinterest, though I think that bow has more ribbon than fabric in it.

I'm not a seamstress--I don't even know how to operate a sewing machine. I had a box of fabric scraps I took off my sister-in-law's hands last summer "just in case" I needed them for a project. This morning I weeded through them and found some suitable candidates to make a hair bow with.


I knew I wasn't going to have enough time to make bows with all of the above options today, so I just chose six pieces of the green/purple chunks to use for this project. I also grabbed a piece of sheer purple ribbon my daughter had left over from a headband kit to add a bit of variety. My other supplies included a hot glue gun, a covered hair clip, sewing thread and needle, a clamp (optional but helpful), and a button.

I used the clamp to hold my needle and cut up the ribbon and fabric scraps, pushing them one-by-one onto the needle. This is the same thing I do when I make my korker bows; it's a bit less stressful on the hands.

After I removed it from the clamp, I did a simply cross-stitch (which is about the extent of my sewing skills) and knotted it off.

I then hot glued my bow to a covered hair clip and glued on a button as well. That was it! You could also apply some light dabs of fray check if you would like, or add in more ribbon, or maybe even other baubles you have laying around to jazz it up.

I had my daughter try on the bow...

... and my son refused to be shown up!


That's it for today! Come back tomorrow when we try our hand at making some Clay Texture Tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment