Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Discovering 2014: Minecraft Creeper Clippie

 Discovering 2014 is a personal goal to complete a daily project throughout the year!

Today's project was a Minecraft Creeper Clippie.This one I had to wing from creeper pictures, but all three of my crazy-for-Minecraft kids recognized it instantly. The full tutorial follows!

Creeper Body
For the creeper's body I used 1 1/2" wide green silk ribbon, cut to about 3 1/4" long, then folded to be 1 1/2" long (so it was 1.5"x1.5") with some overlap to cover the open end, as shown below. I also closed up the sides with a light layer of glue. You could use grosgrain ribbon instead, and 2x2 may actually be better for this if you can find that size.


Creeper Face
For the creeper's face I used 3/8" wide black grosgrain ribbon; I wouldn't suggest any other size for this part. You need two pieces that are 3/8" long for the eyes and three pieces that are 3/4" long for the nose and mouth. Carefully heat seal the ends or use fray check.

Final Assembly
When assembling the creeper face I found it easier to work from the bottom up. Apply the hot glue lightly to avoid it oozing out onto the green. I did have it ooze in a few places and I manged to peel most of the excess off, but a couple of spots are stuck for good.

After the face is on, attach it to your covered hair clip and you're ready to BOOM with style!

No comments:

Post a Comment